Sunday, August 2, 2015

Mama Mia Craft Markets For August

Yesterday, I had a market in a new location at Bulimba. This was good because it had more foot traffic and bad because the last time I tried to find it - via the GPS - it took me over an hour to get my butt home.  That stupid GPS took me all over Brisbane before getting me back on the highway.

Damned thing!

Anyway, I digress.

Yesterday was a gorgeous day for the markets and I'm happy we had such great weather for what we did. The outdoor stalls had plenty of room to spread out, there was shade as well from the trees and we had more adults coming than children - which is always a plus.

However, parking was a real hassle. I had to park far away; which didn't bother me during the day, but when the market finished at 6pm, it was dark and I had to walk to my car in that darkness. At 5pm, the police came out and booked anyone parked even an inch onto the yellow lines around the place (which thankfully wasn't me) and they didn't wait for you to move your car, they just did it quickly. One of the retailers said he'd never seen a cop pounce so fast in all his life!

But we did have a good time networking and talking - even if we didn't sell many goods; due to being in a new location. A lot of the locals did say that it was about time a craft market came to the area; and some of them wondered if it was going to stick around. I hope we get to that place as a regular thing; as the locals hope too.

We did have some teething problems with setting up - as you always do in a new place - but they were cleared up by the organiser. Her friend, and helper, there came up and handled my gear without clearing with me first; shoving things against the wall and pushing my back table (where I put my cashbook, calculator and hide my water and food away from people normally) into the dressing room, saying I didn't need it, when I did - otherwise I wouldn't have brought it with me.  Of course I defended myself and the organiser came to see what was going on and backed me, advising her helper not to just grab a retailer's belongings without asking first; especially when they've begun setting up. 

So, after all those hours, we all networked, chatted and lived through that earthquake - which had no affect on any of us - and then we packed up and went home.  It was a very exhausting day and I took a little under $20... oh well, next time will be better. Until my next post, keep creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment